Saturday, July 7, 2012

Short Review: Fifty Shades of Grey (Adult Fiction)


Title: Fifty Shades Of Grey
Author: E.L. James
Release Date: May 26th 2011
Publisher: Vintage

Snyopsis (from GoodReads)

When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind - until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time.

The unworldly, innocent Ana is shocked to realize she wants this man, and when he warns her to keep her distance it only makes her more desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her - but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey's singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success – his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving adoptive family – Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a passionate, physical and daring affair, Ana learns more about her own dark desires, as well as the Christian Grey hidden away from public scrutiny.

Can their relationship transcend physical passion? Will Ana find it in herself to submit to the self-indulgent Master? And if she does, will she still love what she finds?

Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever

My Thoughts (Shortened)

As some of you may know, I jumped on the bandwagon last week and got myself a copy of Fifty Shades of Grey. As it isn't YA Fiction, I'm not going to do a full review on it but I thought I'd just give a quick summary of my thoughts on it!

First thing I would like to say about it is people make it seem far worse than it really is. Taking from what others have said about it, I went in expecting it to have highly descriptive and disturbing the sex scenes. Considering it's an erotic fiction, I wouldn't expect any less. The type of sex may not be ideal, but hey, I went into this book knowing what it was going to be about so I shouldn't be complaining.

I also hear a lot about how people find Christian Grey's tastes and  behavior quite disturbing... which I totally agree with. The author didn't try to write the reader's ideal version of a man. He's supposed to be a crazy obsessive control freak with freaky sexual desires! This is what makes the book. There would be no story to tell if he wasn't like this. This might sound weird if you haven't read the book, but these characteristics of him is also what helps you to connect with him. Not the fact that he's an obsessive control freak with weird desires, but because you get to really appreciate the way he is towards Anastasia as it is quite unlike him. His 'new' behavior is really what made me enjoy the book as much as I did. Their relationship isn't healthy or ideal, but for something that's fictional, I enjoyed it. 

Something that really bothered me about this book is that it only takes place over a couple of weeks (the majority of it, over one week). I didn't actually realize this until Anastasia thinks back to her first date with Christian 'one week ago' and that sort of ruined the book for me. It just seemed far too soon for their relationship to have developed that much and for everything to have happened! Anastasia is head over heels for this guy and decides she is in love with him after one week of mostly just having sex "/ I sure hope I've read it all wrong. If the author had only just left out the sentence of Ana thinking back 'one week ago' I could have at least pretended they had known each other for longer and it may have received a higher rating from me...

Overall, I actually liked the book enough to go onto the next one. Not because of the writing (the characters 'murmur' a lot) or the sex scenes, but because I want to see what happens next in Christian and Anastasia's relationship and find out a bit more about Mr. Grey's past. If you think BDSM is going to bother you, take into consideration that the scenes in this book aren't as bad as you might think. The author doesn't try to make Christian's tastes seem 'normal' and even Anastasia has a hard time coming to terms with it. I can't really say that I would recommend this book to anyone in particular because honestly, it all comes down to your singular tastes! This book has a  3 star rating from me!

6 comments:

  1. Hmm that's interesting. The only thing that deterred me from this series was the fact that everyone was saying it was horrible to read so I thought might as well not waste my time on it. But a few of my friends have read this book and said they enjoyed it for what it was and it wasn't hard to read or anything. And now that you've said it too I think I'll give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm to be honest, I can get where some of the negative reviews are coming from but in the end I found it worth the read (:

      Delete
  2. I haven't actually read the book, but from what I've heard, I think the fact that it was his magnetism and such that made her fall for him, or at least make her believe she was in love with him, so that probably wouldn't have been an issue for me. I loved your review, very informative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the book either because I still kind of doubt if somehow I can do the book justice after reading it LOL. I am not into that kind of book, you know, but after I read your review, I think I might change my mind, well just to find out if the book is worth the hype :)

    Since this might be out of your comfort zone book, what makes you decide to read it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was mostly curiosity that got me to read it. Everyone around me was reading it and talking about it so that definitely pushed me a bit. I'm also pretty willing to give new things a try so it wasn't too hard for me to pick up (:

      Delete
  4. I bought the book some time back but still haven't read it mainly because of the bad reviews.
    Though, I guess I should give it a try.
    Good Review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I really appreciate every single one of them and try my best to reply to them all (: