Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Review: Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann


Title: Cryer's Cross
Other Titles: The Missing
Author: Lisa McMann
Release Date: February 8th 2011
Publisher: Simon Pulse

Snyopsis (from GoodReads)

Kendall loves her life in small town Cryer¹s Cross, Montana, but she also longs for something more. She knows the chances of going to school in New York are small, but she's not the type to give up easily. Even though it will mean leaving Nico, the world's sweetest boyfriend, behind.

But when Cryer's Cross is rocked by unspeakable tragedy, Kendall shoves her dreams aside and focuses on just one goal: help find her missing friends. Even if it means spending time with the one boy she shouldn't get close to... the one boy who makes her question everything she feels for Nico.

Determined to help and to stay true to the boy she's always loved, Kendall keeps up the search--and stumbles upon some frightening local history. She knows she can't stop digging, but Kendall is about to find out just how far the townspeople will go to keep their secrets buried....

My Thoughts

This is going to be one of my shorter reviews. I held off reviewing it for a bit too long so it's a bit harder to review it in depth. If I ever re-read this book I will make sure I come back to write a better one.

This story is written in third-person narrative which I am not really a big fan of as I find it harder to connect with characters. I did get used to it though and despite feeling 'disconnected' at first, the story engrossed me and I flipped through the pages with ease. During the first few chapters I found the dialogue a bit unrealistic and over the top at times. That really stuck out for me, but don't worry! It becomes more natural as the story goes on. Something I surprisingly liked about this story is the mystery about it. All you really know for a while is that a girl in this small town has gone missing and for a time you could be somewhat convinced that it's simply a kidnapping. Though none of the characters say anything about it otherwise, the way the author tells the story gives you an inkling that there is definitely more to it. This is what made the book such a page-turner for me. Unlike most books I've read, the reason I wanted to keep reading this book was not because of the events that were happening. It was more because of the build up of the story. Something was coming, slowly and steadily and props to the author for gripping my attention through all of this. The ending was so-so for me. The reasoning for it was not satisfactory enough and I would have liked for it to be a bit more... complex, I suppose. I honestly wouldn't have minded reading a few extra chapters for the author to have added a bit more to to it. It was a bit rushed but it wasn't a bad ending. 

The protagonist of this story is Kendall, who has OCD. I actually really liked her character and I think her OCD added to it. I was surprised though as she was not quite as obsessive as I had expected, but I don't know much about OCD so who am I to say anything about that? This trait definitely makes her character more interesting, though I wish the author hadn't relied on it so much to be the basis of the story (I'm speaking about the ending really...). Another character we come to know quite well in the story is Jacian. A new boy who recently moved into town and is having trouble adjusting to change. He was quite stand-offish at first but of course, he warms up to Kendall after a while. There was not much character development in Jacian and as a love interest, it was quite disappointing. He just went from stand-offish to nice a bit too soon with no real incentive. Aside from that I had no real issues with the characters. They were all quite likable which I'm happy about (:

So for a wrap up of my thoughts? I enjoyed the book. It was fast-paced and the author did a good job of building the suspense. The characters were likable though a few supporting characters could have used some more development. The ending was a bit too simple for me and I would have liked some more complexity. With that being said, it wasn't too much of a let down and I would definitely not say it made the book any less worthy of your time. This mysterious and dark story is definitely worth a read!
 


4 Stars!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kim, thankyou for visiting earlier and your kind comments. I love reading your reviews swell, they are very comprehensive :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds intriguing. I really like this book's cover as well. Thanks for the review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this book. Ms. McMann is so talented that I would read anything she writes. I liked that is was a stand alone book, although I would love to see more of Jacian.

    Thank you for stopping by my Top Ten this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about 3rd person narrative. Im not usually a fan either, and I feel like the author has to work double hard to make me feel for the characters.
    If you still were pulled in despite the 3rd person narrative, that says something though :)
    Im glad you like the book
    It sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic review! I love that the author was able to foreshadow well because sometimes authors make things SO OBVIOUS right from the start and that always puts me off mysteries :S And I totally agree about third person narratives--they usually irk me to no end as well, but I'm glad to see that that's not the case here! Though it sucks that the love interest and some of the secondary characters were kind of flat :/ However, I'll definitely try picking this up if I see it around since it really does sound like an amazing mystery! :D Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of this book before, but I am excited to read it after checking out your review. Even with the mediocre ending, it sounds like it is a good read. You have the best header, by the way. It is so clean and unique.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I think Shatter Me is a book that you should lend from the library before purchasing. The writing style is a bit unique, and it may take some time to adjust to it. I have heard that readers are unable to get into the story because they can't stand the writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I recently reviewed this one too. Like you, I really enjoyed the mystery of the story and I think Kendall's OCD made her a really unique and interesting main character. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who had problems with Jacian ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I really appreciate every single one of them and try my best to reply to them all (: