Monday, May 21, 2012

Review: Matched by Allie Condie



Title: Matched
Author: Ally Condie
Release Date: November 30th 2010
Series: Matched (#1)
Links: GoodReads / The Book Depository

Synopsis (from GoodReads)

Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate... until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.


My Thoughts

It took me quite a while to read this book if I'm being honest with you. I began the book a few months ago, reading only three chapters before putting it down. I recently picked it back up and urged myself to finish it and that I did.

I purchased this book on a whim after first seeing the gorgeous cover, then reading the synopsis which sounded promising at the time. As I read this book though I kept thinking, "So when does the story really start?" This was on Chapter 12! At this point I felt like the story was more about Cassia and her family than Cassia and her match match's. The love triangle seemed to be more of a sub plot in the story. It wasn't until two thirds into the book that I felt like it was actually going somewhere. I finally started to feel some interest in the story although I had to pretend the last 18 chapters didn't lack anything to really enjoy it. The story finally picked up in pace but I didn't like how suddenly the characters feelings grew for each other. It was so slow in the beginning and all of a sudden they were insanely in love with each other and nothing could tear them apart. I would have preferred it if their relationship had progressively developed through out all the chapters rather than leaving us bored and waiting until the end for them to finally connect. Though I wish it had been done differently, I was glad the characters had finally connected! What more can I ask of a love story? The ending got a bit more interesting as things finally started happening and the story actually started moving... then the end. I read all this way to get a few pages of decent pages and now I have to read the next book to find out what should have been included in this book? Not pleased. With that being said though, the last few chapters were definitely the best part of the book and totally saved it.

As for the characters, I found that they lacked depth! Boring, blah. I didn't connect with any of them. I felt like Cassia was rather flat character. I expected that she would have had more emotion considering her situation. I mean, sure there were times that she was supposed to be angry, excited or happy but I just didn't believe it for the most part. For similar reasons I didn't find myself in favor of any of her match's over the other (until the very end simply because of 'love'). Frankly, I didn't care enough about them to even really mind who she picked in the end. 

To sum it up, the story was so slow I almost gave up on it multiple times. It got better towards the end and that is what saved it from a one star rating (just). A couple of surprises at the end explained why the story lingered around her family so long, but I still think it was unnecessary how dragged out it was considering what little impact the ending even had. I feel wrong for not enjoying this book much as so many others did, but this just didn't do it for me. I wouldn't say it was a horrible book. It was ok. I wouldn't read it again and I have no intentions of reading the rest of the series. The ending was not gripping enough for me. I will probably go and find a summary of the next two books if I find myself curious about what happens in the end.


My Rating 
 

2 Stars

3 comments:

  1. I liked this book, but I have to agree with you in one area: it's slow. It's very, very slow. I was okay with that, but I can totally see how it would frustrate a lot of readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I just get bored quite easily. This is one of the slower books I've read. Since so many people like it though I'm thinking I might make my sister read it and get her view on it (:

      Delete
  2. It's a good book but it is slow. Much better to read it quickly, otherwise you will lose all interest. Crossed was better, but still slow moving. I do like her writing style though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I really appreciate every single one of them and try my best to reply to them all (: