Friday, May 25, 2012

Review: Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick


Title: Hush, Hush
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Release Date: October 13th 2009
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Series: #1
Links: GoodReads / The Book Depository


Snyopsis (from GoodReads)

For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her...until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment, but after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is far more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel. For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.


My Thoughts

The first thing that attracted me to this book was the cover. I know you shouldn't let the cover decide whether you want to read a book or not but you really can't help it. As I have such a big list of books to get through I decided to read some reviews before picking this book up myself. One thing I noticed was the constant comparison to Twilight. Let me start this review by disagreeing with this comparison. The only thing I noticed that was similar was the fact that Nora and Patch were biology partners, the forbidden love and... really those are the only things that stand out to me and they don't hold up enough to say Hush, Hush is a twilight copycat. Nora definitely isn't as annoying as Bella which is a plus (;

Onto the story itself, for the most part it held a fast pace and was really easy to read. Thinking back on it now, there wasn't a whole lot of big events or action during the first half of the book but the author's writing kept me captivated and interested. The relationship between the two protagonists was fun and exciting to watch. You would think that all of Patch's snide remarks would be enough to diminish the possibility of a romance between the two, but it's something else that pulls Nora in. An energy and a strange attraction to Patch. While in real life Patch's behaviour may be seriously creepy, in the story I found myself wanting the characters to get together the whole time! I kept thinking, sexy Patch! The main point of interest in story though is finding out Patch's mysterious past, and who is the person in the shadows that is coming for Nora. While reading this book - like you do when reading any mystery - I was continuously trying to guess who it might be that wanted Nora gone. I went back and forth between a few people and had a pretty good idea towards the end but even then, I was still a little surprised when it was revealed just because of how it rolled out. The last few chapters of the book were a bit slower than the first part of the book but I still enjoyed it and wanted to know what happened.

The characters were fairly likable and I liked the way the author wrote them all. Nora, the protagonist just seemed like a normal girl to me and that I liked about her. We also saw that she was a hardworking student and a loyal friend. Sometimes she used her brain and made good decisions, but sometimes she didn't and made really stupid decisions that made me pause and go, "Seriously?!". Tell me, if you knew that someone was out to kill you, they were close by and wanted you to walk through a rough neighborhood would you do it? Not unless you want to get killed right! Then we have Patch. Dark, sexy and mysterious... and quite sarcastic. He was probably my favourite character in the book simply from those reasons alone. A lot of people have said they didn't see where the romance between Patch and Nora blossomed from, but to me it was obvious from the beginning that they had Chemistry. It was all the more interesting to watch with Patch's consistent remarks and comments. One character that I found kind of annoying was Nora's best friend Vee. While her personality itself could be likable to some, the things she does was what annoyed me. If anyone was going to get Nora hurt it was Vee - constantly begging her to go and do this and that, putting herself in a dangerous situation where Nora might have to step in, so on. I almost just wanted Vee to learn for herself at times... but considering Nora is her bestfriend and all that wasn't going to happen.

Overall, I enjoyed this book and even stayed up some nights to read it. I would say this would be more for the younger YA readers. The older readers probably won't enjoy it as much from my personal opinion and judging from the reviews I have read on GR as it's the romance that makes you the most giddy about this book and depending on your tastes, it may or may not work for you. The mystery of Patch's background, and the mystery who is after Nora may be the main point of interest but if you don't like the romance than it may be hard to enjoy the rest. Reading this book kind of reminded me of when I would read books from the Fear Street series by R.L. Stine when I was younger, only now coming from an older perspective. It wasn't an amazing story that had a really good story line and writing, but I did enjoy it quite a bit so for that reason this book is getting a 3.5 stars! (:


3.5 Stars!
I enjoyed the book and it's worth checking out.

7 comments:

  1. I bought this about two weeks ago I think, I hope to pick it up soon :)
    Lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the Hush, Hush series! I hope you keep going! The first one is okay, so is the second, but the third one is fantastic. I was freaking out through the whole third book. They get so much better as you go on. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series (: I just have such a big list of books I want to get through so they're not exactly on the top of my list at the moment.

      Delete
  3. I'm super on the fence about this one. The reviews are super mixed and I have a feeling I won't like it. Angel stories are really hit or miss with me also. I'm also an "older" ya reader :) Glad you enjoyed it, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had some little 'fangirl' moments while reading this and I think that is what draws a lot of the younger readers into this book and makes it so enjoyable for them. I can definitely see why there are such mixed reviews from and it's easy to understand that some will love it, some will hate it. This is the first angel story I've read but I've been a bit unsure about them too. Have you read Angelfall? I've heard glowing reviews on that one from just about eveyrone and it sounds like it's a big hit!

      Delete
  4. I love hush, hush but have heard pure bad reviews on the sequels. still, the first is a good read.

    nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard the rest aren't as good but people still seem to enjoy them. The first book would be fine as a standalone book though and I don't feel the need to rush out and get the rest. I think I'll read them eventually though (:

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I really appreciate every single one of them and try my best to reply to them all (: